If you love life, then you take time management seriously, because time is all life is made of. Time is the most valuable resource for human beings, and the way you manage it determines who you are. Here are a few rules of proper time management.
Determining what you have to do
You need to know what you are required to do in a specific time frame for you to plan for it. It is your life, and you alone can plan for it. If you let some else plan it for you, you will never achieve your dreams. There is very little time within which to do so much in today’s fast paced life, but you must be in charge of your own activities. For instance, if you work every day from morning to the evening, you have to determine which activities you will do during the day, in order of importance. This will help you allocate enough time for each activity.
The importance of time recording cannot be overemphasized. Recording everything you have to do or you have done makes it easy for you to plan how to spend your time. Having known what you are required to do, you then need adhere to the following guidelines.
- Allocate each activity enough time.
- If an activity is not completed within the stipulated time, reschedule it for another time or another day, so that it does not interfere with other activities of the day.
- Appreciate the need for free time. As you plan your day, don’t omit breaks. You need to rest between activities to rejuvenate and refresh your mind.
- Record the time take to accomplish new tasks, so that you can plan for them properly next time.
Time tracking is the backbone of a proper time management plan. You need to maintain a detailed record of your working time. At the end of each day, you should do the following:
- Write all the activities done during the day and the time spend on each activity.
- Compare this list of activities done during the day with the one written in the morning.
- Take note of the activities you did during the day that you had not planned for, so that you can create time for such activities in the future.
- Determine whether it is the activities of the day that planned your day, or you planned the activities of the day yourself. In some cases, you will notice that you had to deviate from your planned use of time due to unavoidable circumstances.
There are several time-tracking applications that allow you to know how you spend your time. Time tracking helps you to:
- Determine the activities that take a lion’s share of your activities.
- Determine the activities that consume the least of you time.
- Know which activities you will consider spending more time on in the coming periods.
- Determine whether your time spending plan has been achieved.
Everyone talks about time management, but only a few of us get it right. There are several rules of time management, and here are a few of them.
- Don’t postpone until tomorrow something that you are able to do today. Remember that procrastination is the foundation of all disasters.
- Remember that it is not the number of hours spend doing something that matters. It is what has been done in those hours that counts.
- Do the best you can within the time given. You will never get enough time for everything. Time and tides waits for no man.
- Do the right activity in the right time and in the right place. If everyone followed this rule, the world would be a better place to live in.
- Do not feel guilty of relaxing.
A time tracker collects information and provides a report on how you spend your time. There are several time tracking programs and with all of them, the following main rules must be adhered to:
- If the program requires you to enter the activities done during certain time frames manually, be honest with yourself.
- If it is an automatic rule-based program, update it regularly.
In summary, time management is one of the things in which man is yet to excel. Surprisingly, time management requires adhering to simple self-programmed rules.